I am here for a purpose and that purpose is to grow into a mountain, not to shrink to a grain of sand. Henceforth will I apply ALL my efforts to become the highest mountain of all and I will strain my potential until it cries for mercy.

~ Og Mandino








Race Calendar 2011!

  • Salt Lake City half marathon April 16th
  • Aflac Iron Girl @ Lake Las Vegas April 30th
  • Goldilocks 30 or 60 mile ride May
  • Little Red Century ride--June 4th

Friday, February 26, 2010

First bike workout

Friday 2/26: bike/run brick
Yeah!! I got to take my bike out for the first time today! I slept 4 hours (9am to 1pm) woke up early and it was nice and sunny and around 40 degrees--perfect! I was going to swim/bike today, but I can swim any day and figured I get in a bike ride while the weather was good.

I got on my pearl izumi bike short capri's (love them) and a sports bra, layered with champion dry fit long sleeve top and then a wind breaker. I wore two pairs of socks and all-weather warm gloves, a Bula head/neck protector, sunglasses, helmet. My shoes are Shimano--nice and comfy.

My real goal for the day was to practice getting in/out of my clips and not falling. I rode around my neighborhood 4 times, stopping and taking my feet out of the clips. It really helps if you build up some speed and don't panic. :)

I felt good, so I decided to do the 6 mile loop I had mapped last week. It started off good, then I need to increase the resistance. Long story short, this ride was definitely a lesson in gear shifting and not dropping the chain!! I thought I was going to drop the chain off the reel twice and I have no idea how to fix it. Luckily it didn't happen!

When I mapped my ride, I didn't plan on the BUSY traffic at two intersections that I'd have to cross. The first one I stopped at the light and realized there was NO WAY I was experienced enough to take off with some speed and get my foot in the clip without looking. It was a mess, I almost fell and finally had to run (in my cleats) across the street. THAT needs some practice!

The second intersection in busy traffic I was better prepared and made it across the street after I was riding on the wrong side of the road for about 20 feet. Oh well. I made in home in one piece without falling or dropping the chain--yea! Successful ride.

After that I came home and did 3 miles on the treadmill. At first my legs felt a little heavy, but no problems. I had good energy today but I'm so tired of my ITB pain. I know I can run so much further, but this pain kicks in and I have to stop. :(

Bike 6.5-7 miles, time?
Run/walk 3 miles:
mile 1: warm up in 13:15
2 miles @ 24:30
3 miles @ 37:56

LOTS of room for improvement :)

No comments:

Post a Comment